Updated on May 24, 2016
Barbaric Blog Yawp
Place I exist in the ether:
- – where my blog for this class will be. It also has my ED 677 projects.
- Twitter @sgcarstensen
- – I don’t tweet often, mostly I use it to keep up with a far flung friend. Feel free to follow me; if you have your #nousion tweet up I’ll follow you back.
- – Again, mostly used to keep track of friends and family in far places. I don’t check it very often and I’ve got it pretty locked down rather than share my drama with snoopy students.
- – Just started using this last semester for Digital Storytelling. It is a nice way to keep school & work related links organized and accessible even when I’m not at home.
Places I exist that you can’t see
- Steam, PSN, World of Warcraft
- – I play a lot of think-y games like Portal, point-and-clicks like Book of Unwritten Tales, and for stress relief games like WoW.
- – for following fanart/comics. I don’t post there, or really use it much. I caught-up on some comics during break, but it had been about 3 months since the last time I logged in.
- Fanfiction accounts
- – I used to write fanfiction. A few people can connect me to my pseudonym, all RL friends, otherwise I enjoy having a space where personal drama doesn’t intrude.
I crochet, make jewelry, paint, draw, and sew. I’d rather mow the lawn than do dishes, laundry is a bane, but I like to cook. I’ve driven from Alaska to Pennsylvania (down the Alcan to Montana), and the reverse five years later.
I took time off from my education to care for my Grandfather, after my Uncle passed. Which meant moving to rural PA. People would sometimes think my Mom and I were sisters because everyone knew Grandad had two daughters.
I almost studied at the Art Institute of Phoenix. I got my BA from UAF in History, with English and Asian Studies minors. I’ve been the digital editor for Ice Box, as well as an officer in the club. I was an officer in the UAF History club, and am a member of Phi Alpha Theta.
I have drawn cover art, created ebooks, and websites. I worked as reconstruction security for West Fred Meyer a few years ago – basically keeping track of the contractors.
I don’t like to talk about religion or politics, especially at the dinner table. I would protest against inequality and intolerance. I think less of each would make the world infinitely better, it is certainly something I would change if I could change the world.
If I could change something about myself, I’d be healthier. I think I’d give myself a love of running or sports, something that would encourage me to be active and outdoors.
I adore music. I will listen to anything once, but I’m sort of picky. I like music that is fast paced, and not discordant. I don’t mind some screaming, as long as it’s balanced by actual singing. I listen to a lot of bands that fall toward pop-punk or alt-rock. I also listen to a lot of international artists from places like Korea, Germany, Japan, Turkey, etc.
I like action movies, and I hate chick-flicks. I am loving the superhero movies trend. I don’t watch much TV. The only show I’m currently following is Running Man, a Korean variety show – it is how I wind down on Fridays. Before we ditched our cable I used to watch Mythbusters, and No Reservations.
I am a voracious reader. I love the Xanth and Discworld series. I have a whole shelf of Louis L’Amour hardbacks, that I read in a single summer. One of my favorite books is Woman Who Rides Like a Man, by Tamora Pierce. I also read graphic novels/manga and comics. Though, I haven’t been buying many lately – Grad school is expensive.