Posted on June 5, 2016
Brainstorm your personal canon. What books have made an impact on your life? What characters do you relate to? What situations? What books have inspired you?
Choose the five books that have had the most impact.
Create a display or presentation of the covers, and a short explanation of why you chose each work.
★ Displays can be posters, digital images, slideshows, etc.
Outcomes: Students will create a display of five books that have impacted them – either personally or academically.
- W.9-10.4 Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, style, and features are appropriate to task, genre, purpose, and audience.
- W.9-10.10 Write routinely over extended time frames (time for research, reflection, and revision) and shorter time frames (a single sitting or a day or two) for a range of tasks, purposes, and audiences.
- R.9-10.2 Determine a theme or central idea of a text and analyze in detail its development over the course of the text, including how it emerges and is shaped and refined by specific details; restate and summarize main ideas or events, in correct sequence, after reading a text.
- L.9-10.1 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
- L.9-10.2 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.
Assessment: Bookprint display.
Bookprint Display Rubric
|Display includes student’s name and project title = 1 point|
|Exceeds Expectations = 3 points||Acceptable = 2 points||Needs Revision = 1 point|
|Display includes five book covers, laid out in an appealing manner.||Display includes at least 3 book covers. Or all covers, but some are obscured due to poor layout.||Display has less than 3 covers, or covers are too obscured to be recognized.|
|Each book includes a short description of how it impacted the student.||Most of the books include a description of how it impacted the student.||Descriptions are missing. From 3 or more books.|
|Each description includes title & author of work.||Most descriptions include title & author of work.||3 or more descriptions are missing title and author.|
|Total points possible = 10|
Points = 10